Do you see homebrew on your home screen?
Yes start here
No read on
Homebrew refers to the ability to run pirated games, which is one reason Nintendo keeps trying to eradicate homebrew with system updates.
This includes homemade games, game engines that can run old PC games and homebrew applications that do things like play DVDs through your Wii or use the balance board as a scale.
The software to do all this is free
Be aware, too, that Nintendo updates to the Wii may break your Homebrew Channel (or brick your Wii), so don’t update the Wii system after installing Homebrew.
You are responsible for any problems that arise from installing Wii homebrew software and not NowPlay
To prevent Nintendo from automatically updating your system, turn off WiiConnect24.
So, there’s no guarantee that using homebrew software won’t harm your Wii.
Also, prevent new games from attempting to update the system.
Nintendo didn’t design the Wii to support homebrewing.
Let’s get started
There is a new method that does not require an SD card and we have tested this and it works and much simpler than the letterbomb method below. So watch the whole video to the end before trying this as there are a couple of important points, like do not click the agree/disagree buttons and ignore what looks like screen corruption, so watch it once, then try it following it step by step
Here is the latest method in a nice and clear video
Or there is the old way
To install the homebrew software on a Wii, you’ll need:
A Wii console
An SD card formatted for FAT16 or FAT32
A computer with internet access
An SD card reader/writer for the computer
If you used the SD card before to install homebrew software, you may see a file on the card called boot.dol. If so, delete or rename it. Similarly, if you see a folder called private, delete or rename it.
Before you start update your wii to 4.3 which is the latest version of the Wi UI. The operating system version number appears in the upper-right corner If you cant update and your wii is running version 4.2 or earlier, use the Bannerbomb method which you can find on google, otherwise proceed with the letterbomb method below.
Letter Bomb Method
Download LetterBomb, Then Copy It to Your SD Card, If you have a new Wii, this procedure reportedly won’t work until there is at least one message in your Wii Message Board. If the Wii is new and you have no messages, create a memo on the Wii. To create a memo, select the envelope inside a circle located in the lower-right corner of the main menu. In the Wii Message Board, select create message, select memo, then write and post a memo.
- Insert the SD card reader into the computer.
- Open a browser, then go to the LetterBomb home page.
- On the LetterBomb page, go to System Menu Version, then select the option that corresponds to the operating system version.
- In the MAC Address section, enter the media access control (MAC) address of the Wii. If you don’t know the MAC address, here’s how to find it:
- Select Wii Options.
- Select Wii Settings.
- On page 2 of Wii Settings, select Internet.
- Select Console Information.
- Make sure that Bundle the HackMii Installer for me is selected.
- In the reCAPTCHA, provide the required information.
- Select Cut the red wire or Cut the blue wire. It doesn’t matter which option you select; either option downloads the file.
- Extract the file, then copy it to the SD card.
Begin Homebrew Installation
On the Wii console, open the door next to the game disc slot to access the SD card slot. Insert the SD card so that the top of the card faces the game disc slot. If the card goes only partway in, it was inserted backward or upside down.
- Turn on the Wii.
- In the main menu, select the envelope in the circle located in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- In your Wii Message Board, look for a special message, which is indicated by a red envelope that contains a cartoon bomb.
- Wii message
- This message may be in yesterday’s mail. Select the left arrow to go to the previous day. According to the LetterBomb instructions, the message could also turn up today or two days ago.
- Select the envelope.
Install the Homebrew Channel.
- Select Install The Homebrew Channel, then press A.
- Highlight items on the screen, then press A on the remote to select them.
- When prompted to install the channel, select continue, then press A.
- A loading screen appears, followed by a black screen with white text telling you to demand your money back if you paid for this software.
- If you’re using Bannerbomb, use the same procedure to install DVDx, which uses the Wii as a DVD player (if you install media-playing software such as MPlayer CE).
- Press home on the remote, then select exit to go to the main Wii menu.
- Find and install DVDx using the Homebrew Browser.
- When the software is installed, select Exit, then press A.
- A screen appears indicating whether the homebrew items can be installed.
- When using the LetterBomb method on an older Wii, choose to install BootMii as either boot2 or IOS.
- If you copied homebrew applications into the apps folder of the SD card, you’ll see them here; otherwise, you’ll see a screen with bubbles floating on it.
- When loading is complete, the Homebrew Channel appears.
- After a few seconds, the installer prompts you to press 1 on the Wii remote.
- Select Continue, then press A.
- HackMii installer screen Team Twizers Read the onscreen instructions carefully.
- The Homebrew Channel appears as one of your channels.
Once you have that you are ready for our SD card.